TopBand: VK0IR in N.C.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VK0IR in N.C.
From: muenzlerk@uthscsa.edu (Kevin Muenzler)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:39:33 -0600
On Thursday, January 23, 1997 9:30 AM, n4su@ols.net wrote:
<snip>
>Why is it always S.E. (grey line) on 40M and 80M and N.E. over Europe on 160M.
>I am
>skeptical about a current (expert?) theory that the 160M propagation is a
>result of some
>ionospheric ducting or whatever. "Low level ducting" that is! I would like to
>hear more on
>this (from NM7M?). My Geochron time clock shows a perfect demonstration of
>grey line
>propagation on 30M, 40M and 80M, S.E., but certainly not on 160M!. I haven't
>really listened
>much on the H.F. bands.

The reason you are getting NE on 160 and SE on the others is probably because
on the higher bands the D layer has discipated enough to allow them to propagate
that far but not for 160.  In the NE direction you are looking at sunrise
and no D layer, so 160 hops right along with little or no absorbtion.
Just my theory but it sounds good.

73
Kevin, WB5RUE
I'm Voltohm of Borg!  Resistance is E/I, Power is EI, you will
be attenuated!