TopBand: Yuri propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Yuri propagation
From: rattmann@cts.com (rattmann)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:09:09 -0800 (PST)
Dan's partial reply to Yuri was:

>>Sorry, Yuri, bouncing is exactly what it does.  I used to work at the
>Relocatable-Over-the-Horizon Radar (operated at HF) and we always got earth
>returns unless there was a blanketing E layer.  At times we printed nice
>color pictures of the radar's evenly spaced bounces all the way around the
>world.  I saw tilted ionosphere, sloped ionosphere, moving ionosphere, but
>old Mother earth is just a huge target.

H-m-m-m, earth returns, eh?

An earlier note to Topband by K8DO supporting Yuri's comments said that
earth-bounces can't take place because "dirt is too lossy" or something to
that effect.
If "dirt" (or rock) is such an impossible reflector, maybe Denny or Yuri can
explain to us how "mounbounce" signals get back to earth to be heard in
moonbouncer's receivers.

73, Glenn K6NA