TopBand: 9X4WW and ZS8IR turf war

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 9X4WW and ZS8IR turf war
From: bernie.mcclenny@mail.wdn.com (Bernie McClenny, W3UR)
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 09:20:12 -0800
Bernie McClenny, W3UR wrote:

Carl, I think I was Chris' first US QSO of the night.  I found him @ about
02:40z, boy was I surprised.  His sunrise is @ 02:33Z.  I heard only W3GH and
myself calling him.  ZS8IR was on 1827.3 listening on 1829.3.  I worked him @
02:47z.  As I was working him I spotted him on the cluster.  After that
I fell on the floor.  After picking myself up off the floor @ 02:56Z Jon,
AA1K spotted 9X4WW on 1827.4.  Mark was QSX up 1-3.  What a mess this was.
After 1 hour and 15 minutes I finally had a good QSO w/ Mark, he busted my
call two other days.  Maybe Mark did not hear ZS8IR due to propagation.
Anyway I was happy to work both w/ 100 watts and the 4 square.  The neat
thing about this band is you just don't know what you can work and how long
it will take you.  I would say that I have spent close to 20 hours trying to
have a valid QSO w/ 9X4WW and only spent 3 minutes chasing ZS8IR.  Mark,
9X4WW has been very religous about showing up on topband.  I hope that both
Mark and Chris continue to show up on topband and give others a "new-one".

--
Bernie McClenny W3UR (ex WR3E, WB3JRU)