TopBand: 3W5, BV and H44 Prop to N7EX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 3W5, BV and H44 Prop to N7EX
From: n0dh@iea.com (N7EX)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:33:57 -0800
I like Tree, N6TR's suggestion about putting your call in the title so
folks can skip the reports they dont want to read and will adopt the
format and encourage others to do likewise, 160 is surely a regional
band

Propagation here in the Pacific North West (Eastern WA) has been both
frustrating and rewarding the last two mornings.

Yesterday (2/17) H44FN appeared calling 3W5FM on 1826 at 14:30Z. He
tried a couple of times apparently to no avail. After listening to a
dead freq for 2 minutes I gave the H44 a short call to which he promptly
came back and #183 was in the log. Later he moved down to 1821 and was
worked by a couple of 7's and a few 6's. It was obvious that 7's had the
propagation. In talking with NI6T later Gary indicated that when I
worked the H44 on the 3W5FM freq that he thought I was working the 3W5
who they could copy (I could not) and was surprised to find that it had
in fact been the H44.

This Morning it was The 7's turn to work the 3W5 having a clear edge
over the 6's this at our sunrise 14:40Z again on 1826. BV7FC appeared
briefly on 1824 at 14:45 calling CQ in our face but was not copying well
and either gave up or faded out. VK3ZL and VK3AJJ were strong enough to
be locals and VK3ZL was worked by several on SSb before returning to CW.
The H44 apparently was stuck on 80 with an honest S-8 signal but never
appeared on 160 this morning too bad condx were really good and the band
quiet. Europe and Africa however for the past few nights has been non
existent and not a hint of the V5 who had been so consistent on Sunday
night.

Regards
Dave
N7EX