TopBand: Band Plan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Band Plan
From: jwortham@goodnet.com (Jim Wortham)
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 16:42:13 -0700
Hi Folks,
After seeing many of the comments regarding band plan proposals, FCC, ARRL,
or other opportunities to regulate our actions I want to add a comment.
Although I am a relative newcomer to this amateur band I have a concern that
we should, under the description of "the gentlemen's band", do our best to
control our own destiny as best we can.  The FCC in recent actions have
clearly shown that if no-one manages a spectrum assignment, SOMEONE will.
Band plans "carved into stone" have already cost us many megahertz in our
VHF and UHF realm.  In fact, we already share all our UHF spectrum with some
other service.

Is there a more or less formal/informal agreement that is in place now?  I
have tried several times to download a bandplan file of some sort but all I
get is "unable to load" etc. etc.

I apologize for taking the space on this reflector but feel we should try to
continue as assignments have been accepted.  In fact, I didn't know about a
DX window until a W6 informed me that there was one.  I look forward to a
listing/posting of "proper" assignment so I may observe proper band use
etiquette.

Keep up the good work with the topband reflector!  I really appreciate the
idea that we can share our experiences.

73, Jim W7GNP