TopBand: Topband Newsletter (Part 2)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Topband Newsletter (Part 2)
From: g3xtt@compuserve.com (Don Field)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 16:41:09 -0400
(continued from Part 1 - posted by g3xtt@compuserve.com):

>From Petr, OK1DOT: Dear Don - Thank you very much for last TBN. I have
received WAS 160m no.580, the first in the Czech Republic. New ones worked
include: VK9CR VK9XY HC8/WN4KKN TT8BP 9U5CW. The VK9 expedition was
perfect, with good signals and good operators. My 160m score is now 230
worked. I received QSLs from TT8BP VK9CR VK9XY XX9X 5A1A CE0Z KW2P/CY9
9X/ON4WW TY5MF and, after 10 years, TG9NX!!! Last year Bill K6TQ visited my
home. I worked Bill in December 1994 during a fantastic window to the West
Coast. Bill told me I am the only OK station he has worked on 160. I also
enjoyed a QSO with VK6VZ, with a true 589/599 signal.

73 Petr, OK1DOT

In a later letter (31/10/96), Petr writes: Only a few new countries, D68,
PJ9, LU6Z, etc. I hope this season will be better than the last period. In
recent months I was on topband every day but conditions were bad. I heard
many OH, SM and LA stations working DX, but only a few of the DX stations
were audible here. For example, I spoke one day with Jara DL1YD and he told
me that every day at German sunrise he was hearing KL7. Here in OK I could
hear nothing from Alaska! Never mind. I have WAS 160m, the first in the
Czech Republic.

>From Bob, KW2P: Just a short note to let you know how much I enjoy your
Topband Newsletter. Great job.
I was up on CY9 St.Paul Island in July 1995. I sure had a ball giving out
CY9 for a new one to all that needed it. I made about 185 QSOs; not sure
about the country count. I could not get over how quiet the band is up
there and how early I could copy Europe, with some very loud signals.
I am kind of new to 160. I have been working DX on 160 now for 3 years,
with 86 confirmed. I do have over 100 confirmed, but am still waiting for
QSLs. I found December 1995 and January 1996 to be particularly good months
for conditions and worked quite a few new ones during those two months.
73 & tnx for a great job. Bob KW2P

>From Rudi DK7PE: Thank you very much for sending me a copy of the Topband
Newsletter regularly. I am reading it very carefully, as you can imagine!
I hope you can keep on publishing it in future, as not everybody is able to
have access to Internet.
I also thought about writing a few lines about my 160m DXpedition
experiences from abroad and pass them on to you. As soon as I find the time
I will certainly do so. Unfortunately, QRL keeps me very busy at the
moment, so there is not much time left for the hobby or things like writing
stories.
All the best to you and yours and to the TBN readers.
73 Rudi, DK7PE
(Rudi, we would be very pleased indeed to receive a write-up of your
expedition experiences. You have given many TBN readers one or more new
ones on 160 over the years - ed.)

>From John, K9UWA (great to finally meet you at Dayton John - ed.): Having a
great season so far this year. Currently (29/3/96) listed at 230 in the
DXCC Yearbook just received. Have 10 new ones to add to the 230, and still
hoping to get a couple more like ZD7 and 9X so will be at 240 in the next
Yearbook! Can't quite seem to catch up with K1ZM/K5UR and a couple of
others. Only 4 years till I retire from work! Then I won't have that damn
pesky job to contend with ...
So for the records:
DXCC  240 alltime, 236 active
WAZ     40  .. yup, all of them ... according to K1MEM I am the 15th in the
world to attain this honour.
WAS     50
Guess that's about it. Hope to see you on the band.
73 John K9UWA (k9uwa@cris.com)