TopBand: Rohn 25

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Rohn 25
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:17:48 EDT
On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:37:58 EDT k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
writes:
>You wrote:
>>Earl, would the model show a difference if you tried placing the
>shunt
>>rod directly opposite the 12" face and also standing off from a leg
>so
>>that it effectively "sees"  a taper?  I found that placing off the
>leg
>>was the better match. This was evidenced by better 2:1 bandwidth and
>>FS measurements.
>
>=====================
>Interesting finding, Carl.  The way I shunt feed my towers is to
>horizontally attach (via SS hose clamps) a 1" OD piece of aluminum
>tubing about 3' long to one of the horizontal rungs of the tower's
>zig-zag bracing.  I attach the gamma wire (I use old discarded RG-58
>coax) to the outer end of the tubing.  If needed, it's easy to loosen
>the clamps and slide the tubing in or out to adjust the spacing.  For
>standoff insulators every 15' or 20' below that, I use 3' lengths of
>1" ID schedule 40 PVC with a 1/4" hole in their outer end through
>which passes the gamma wire.  These are similarly attached to the
>tower for easy adjustment.  Anyway, it looks like this from above:
>
>                       |o
>    1" tube -----> |      o <------ tower legs
>                       |o
>                       |x <------- gamma wire
>
>When you say "shunt feed directly opposite the 12" face of the tower",
>I assume you mean like this:

>                                   <------- tower legs
>                    o        o
>
>                         x     <------- gamma wire
>
>When you say "standing off from a leg so that it effectively 'sees' a
>taper", I think you mean like this:
>
>                    o        o
>                                   <------- tower legs
>
>                         x    <------- gamma wire

Both of your assumptions above  are correct Earl.

I also started those tests (April-May 1984) with #12 for the gamma. Even
with 20 or so radials the bandwidth was narrow. I attributed this to the
D1/D2 ratios. The original 1949 CQ Magazine studies on the Gamma match
(The first in Ham Literature I believe and I can mail you a copy)
stressed that for efficient performance that the diameter ratios not
exceed 4X. Granted this is 1997 but I have yet to read anything (worth
reading) challenging it.

I finally wound up with .75" CATV cable as the gamma rod with it looking
at the taper.
This was selected since it easily fits in the thru side of  standard .75"
PVC T fittings. I used regular .75" PVC Schedule 40 to go from the T to
the tower legs. I rested that horizontal PVC alongside a horizontal cross
brace and just taped it on over the 12" length.   For that 100' tower and
a rod of ~ 65' I used 5 supports. I also drilled a hole in each T to
secure the hardline with a 8-32 self tapping screw.  Once tuned I never
touched it for 5 years...when I moved up here. Same town, 4 miles
horizontal and 500'  vertical.

The hardline never hung perfectly straight and looked a bit ugly but it
sure worked.
I had tried a 4 wire 8" diameter cage but I could never get it stable in
the wind....VSWR and amp loading was always changing. The cage had the
best FS readings but was a mechanical nightmare. The difference between
the cage and the hardline was very small and the difference between the
hardline and the #12 was about 1 dB as measured 2.5 miles away using
professional equipment.
I cant say if all of the loss was the wire or the Omega matching
network...probably a bit of both.

Keep the info flowing Earl. It is not too long before snow in the Rust
Belt and I suspect a lot of guys are planning new shunt feds for the
coming season.

73....Carl   KM1H