TopBand: Introduction

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Introduction
From: gu3whn@guernsey.net (Mike Sloan)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 23:59:08 +0100
Greetings from Guernsey.

Hope to become more active on topband and will hopefully be able to
allow GU to appear in a few more logs.

Use a Ten-tec set up here with a Paragon and a Titan, both some ten
years old.  This allows full legal power of 400w ERP, between 1.810 and
1.850.

CW has become very rusty since my 9V1OB call some thirty years ago.  You
have been warned!  Have a lovely Vibroplex EK some ten years old and
hardly ever used so I must really make a determined effort.  Can
probably shake the dust off my old Admiralty straight key or even
program the computer......

Antenna is a quarter wave sloper with counterpoise of a half wavelength,
cut in error!!  The maximum height is fifty feet.  Good SWR of better
than 1.5:1 and been able to work W and VE on fone with good reports both
ways.

Live right next to the sea with the base of the mast some one hundred
yards from the Atlantic.  Surrounded by sea so the takeoff on all bands
seems to be very good.

I will study the Digest to try and read myself into the situation with
regard to propogation and favoured frequencies.

Kind regards to all.

Very best 73

Mike

 -