TopBand: K7K

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: K7K
From: crb@nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:26:50 +200
> N4KG wrote:
> >Wouldn't it be nice if DXpeditioners learned something about
> >Low Band Propagation BEFORE going to their destinations?

To which KF7E replied:
>         I can only say that I have often wondered if the emphasis placed on
> ever-increasing dxpedition QSO totals has shifted the emphasis from quality
> to quantity. DXing the low bands is by it's nature a slower and more
> thoughtful art...

Hmmmm.  I have to add a few comments, as an erstwhile DXpeditioner
of some notoriety.  I think we are forgetting a few things:

*  It is very difficult to get masses of people to stand by for a
   marginal opening to another area, if they haven't had a fair crack
   at you.  I would think it makes sense to work the close-in masses
   for a day or two until that demand has been met to some extent, and
   then tell them to shut up for the long-haul stuff.

*  Low band operating wasn't so great in the past.  How many
   DXpeditions from the Seventies and Eighties produced the kind of
   160 fireworks that S21XX, V5/W8UVZ, V5/ZS6YG, VK0IR etc did?

Try to remember:  Low banders are a very small proportion of the DX
world.  Someone who runs an expedition to satisfy general demand,
cannot spend time trying to pacify a small minority at the expense of
the rest of the world.

Of course, there are those who set out to do just that:  The 'XX
team, DK7PE and a few other examples spring to mind.  But it should
come as now surprise that low bander DXpeditioners are a small
fraction of DXpeditioners, just like low banders are a small fraction
of DXers.

Lighten up, guys!

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ
Ex V51Z ZS0Z ZS3Z ZS6BCR ZS9Z ZS9Z/ZS1 3DA0/ZS6BCR ZS6BCR/A22 etc.
Op at 7P8EN
 -
 ---