TopBand: Alternatives to the inverted L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Alternatives to the inverted L
From: stans@netos.com (Stan Seiffert)
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:02:32 -0700
I am using a T antenna.  A continuous 140 ft. long wire is strung between two
trees and about 60 feet up.  It is fed at the center  against 4 elevated 1/4
wavelength radials about 10 ft up.  The vertical portion is two wires spaced
about a foot apart.  One is fed against the radials.  The other is connected to
the radials resulting in a top loaded folded monopole.  The advantage is that
the feed point impedance works out close enough to 50 ohms that it can be fed
directly with coax without the need for any matching device (other than the
second wire).  It  seems to work fine, probably the same as an inverted L.  The
radials are not grounded and the feed line is coiled up below the feed point to
hopefully form a rf choke.  I don't know if that makes any difference, but, it
makes me feel better.  I am planning to play with vertical loops on the
computer.  Does anybody else have any ideas for wires strung from trees??
                     73   Stan
                     W7AWA
 -
 ---