TopBand: A Boring Romp - N6TR/7

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: A Boring Romp - N6TR/7
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:38:30 -0700 (PDT)
If this keeps up, I am going to have to move to Ecstasy, Vermont or
something.

A record breaking night on 160 - at least for me, and maybe others.
The band was a little better than it was two nights ago, but the
big difference was the length of the opening.  I was hearing RK3PA
at sunset, and GW3JXN was still coming in when I turned off the radio
around 0630 UTC.

I only briefly heard Mir (RK3PA) around 0200Z and didn't even know
for sure it was him.  However, when I came back on the band at 02:40,
he was peaking well out of the noise.  DL7DF/HR3 was running lots of
guys in the early evening on 1824.5 listening up 3.  I hope all of
the Europeans had a QSO with him.

Shortly after RK3PA, I stumbled upon OX3FV (not for the last time).
Whenever I hear an OX, I always assume it is a bootlegger...  however,
after hearing this operation last night, I am sure it wasn't.  Many
Europeans ended up calling this guy.  I think I heard him on and
off until 0600Z!  This is my first new one in the evening time since
April!

Was very nice to work several east European stations: HA8BE, OM2XW,
OK1AEZ (very nice signal), OE3TF and almost S59AA.  IV3PRK was the
only southern European worked.  There were lots of SMs, DLs, LAs
and OHs.  Ended up with 31 different Europeans in the log, having
much better results CQing than I did two nights ago.

N7UA described it as "music to my ears" - I agree.  It is striking how
open the band was 2 of the last 3 evenings, and how dead it was the
other.

In other news, I received a few mail messages from people who said
their Stew Perry score was missing.  I am sorry for this, but since
I am not the one with the logs, I can't check to see what happened.
Hopefully things will go a little smoother next time with a simplier
process for log submission.  Also, I don't expect the results to
take as long to get out.

Hope the conditions continue!

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com