TopBand: W3LPL Beverages etc.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: W3LPL Beverages etc.
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:14:15 -0400 (EDT)
Earl,
Thanx for the note!
I've never tried Beverages with lossy wire, I'd be interested in comments
from those that have tried it.

There are many occasions when the 4-square is the best receiving antenna,
but there are also many occasions when the Beverage is best.  It might be
interesting if K1HTV provided some comments, because he uses my Beverages
and 4-square far more than I do!

73
Frank
W3LPL
donovanf@sgate.com

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Earl W Cunningham wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 23:35:20 -0500 Larry Higgins <n9dx@michiana.org>
> writes:
> >I'd be very interested in Frank's assessment of how the 4-square and
> >the Beverages compare.  I'm sure he wouldn't keep planting all those
> fence
> >posts if there was no benefit.  How about letting us know, Frank?
> >
> When I had assorted Beverages here,  they were a definite asset compared
> to receiving the single transmit vertical.  When I added the second
> shunt-fed tower, the Beverages were still better than the 2-el phased
> array, but not as much so.  I've always wondered how a Beverage would
> compare to a 4-square on receiving.
> What say, Frank?
>
> Also Frank, I wonder if you read my posting some time ago regarding my
> Beverage experiences, i.e., that a galvanized steel wire Beverage
> outperformed a copper Beverage on front-to-back (therefore was quieter)
 because of the higher wire loss.  My Beverages were very similar to
> yours, 7' high, 550' to 1100' long, with 60' feet or so of both ends
> sloping to ground level.  By walking the wire with a FS meter, I found
> the best termination for mine was about 300 ohms over this Mojave Desert
 soil.  Unfortunately, population growth here gradually limited my antenna