TopBand: Post sunrise opening

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Post sunrise opening
From: rattmann@cts.com (rattmann)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 22:54:38 -0800 (PST)
ZS5K said:
>The latter was at 0314, a full 16 min after sunrise.  This is the first
>time that the big switch hasn't been pulled by 5 min after SR in my short
>experience on the band.  From the talk on this reflector, others have had
>the same experience in the last day or so.

I agree that the DX signals usually fade VERY fast following sunrise, on
160.  In fact it is my experience that the true peak usually occurs PRIOR to
sunrise on the eastern end of the path, by sometimes 15 to 30 minutes.  By
sunrise, many of the signals are gone or going down fast.

This is quite different than what happens on 80, where the peak often does
coincide with my sunrise, and often continues after.

Glenn K6NA