TopBand: Bonding shunt fed wire to tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Bonding shunt fed wire to tower
From: price.smith@worldnet.att.net (Harold Smith)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:42:56 +0000
Hello Ron:

I use stainless steel hose clamps to bond my shunt feed to my tower. I sand
the galvanize lightly and put stainless-steel between the copper and the
galvanize. Also everything gets a good coat of anti-corrosion goo. The
galvanic action between copper and galvanize WILL eat away the galvanize !!!
Put a copper connector on a galvanize tower, wait a year, take it off and
you will find corrosion underneath. Slip a piece of stainless between and
you won't find corrosion.
I use a piece of strap from a hose clamp. You can buy a modified clamp for
this purpose from Poly-Phaser Corp.

73 de Price W0RI ex W0RI/BY1QH Jan 15-27 1998