TopBand: Bonding shunt fed wire to tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Bonding shunt fed wire to tower
From: rgraves@UVic.CA (Roger Graves)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:24:50 -8000
Ron,
I looked into this when I was re-doing my shunt fed tower
connections, ground and feed.
I got responses from real professional antenna engineers and
metalurgists. There is a lot involved here. The bottom line is, make
sure the connection is weatherproofed, otherwise electrolytic action
will soon degrade the connection and damage the zinc galvanizing.
If you want more info, let me know.
BTW, I used lugs obtained from an electricians supply company,
made for breaker panels I think. Bright copper (brass?) and what
looks like silver plated. I chose to separate the copper from the
tower with stainless washers. The separation with SS is recommended
by some, said to be unnecessary by others. In any case. SS bolts and
nuts are advised. I also used antioxidation compound between
all surfaces, again, said to be helpful by some, unnecessary by
others. I painted the whole connection area with 'liquid tape',
identical product it appears to the 'liquid neoprene' sold in diving
shops for repairing scuba diving wet suits.
73, Rod VE7FPT