TopBand: Re: Dxpedition operating question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Dxpedition operating question
From: on4ww@club.innet.be (Demeuleneere Mark)
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 06:29:29 +0000
Don't bother at all whether /qrp, /m, /mm, /ae, etc...this doesn't take away
time from the dx-peditioner (ak1k/m = kb5xxx, in length).
What does take time away, is when people insist on sending qrp, especially
on low bands, and when it is obvious to the qrp-er when the dx-peditioner
has to ask e.g. five times for a repeat of the call.
That is a waste of time and implies that others are not making it in the log.

One other remark I wanted to make for a long time from my Rwanda experience,
but never got to, is people using a handkey on low bands. It is often
difficult enough as it is (qrn, qsb, tired operator,...), and at those times
you can really miss dits and dahs which vary in length constantly. If you
are not consistent in your cw-handwriting, please use an electronic
keyer/computer to work a dx-pedition on low bands.

73 - Mark - on4ww/9x4ww

ps : I had to miss the luxury of beverages in 9X, maybe if I had those this
(handkeying) wouldn't have been as much of a problem.

The following exchange appeared on the DX reflector: