TopBand: Re: [3830] KZ5MM CQ-160 SSB Alligator Explanation!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: [3830] KZ5MM CQ-160 SSB Alligator Explanation!
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 22:43:12 -0800
Another set of experiences:
  My 323 degree (one meter high) Beverage runs between my EU reflector
and my 160 meter driven element.  It has a low noise level and excellent
directivity.  My 352 degree Beverage (one meter high) starts about half
way between my driven element and EU director.  It performs about the
same but sees limited use due to few signals coming from that azimuth.
My 30 degree Beverage (one meter high) gets no closer than 50 meters
from any tower.  While it sees more use than any of the first two (due
to my time preferences/limitations) it's not significantly better in
its technical performance.  My 8 degree Beverage (four meters high)
runs between my EU director and the driven element.  It's also between
my JA reflector and the driven element.  It has reasonable directivity
and a higher signal level.  Its noise level is much higher and so
typical signal-to-noise ratios are down from the others...
  My other five Beverages are one meter high and a reasonable distance
from any towers.  They all perform like the other one meter high ones.
Last year I had 3 to 4 meter high Beverages in place of some of my
lower ones.  Then my identical 8 degree Beverage was often the best
for receiving Europe.  This year it's the winner maybe 2% of the time.
  While they're NOT the very high voltage power mains, I have three
phase overhead power lines running by the access drive to my house.
99.5% of the time static is the noise factor limiting my reception.
The ground conductivity here is very high.  My driven element is a
shunt fed tower.  The parasitics are obviously base grounded and
only the East Asia/SA parasitic can have its base lifted from ground
(the others can be TUNED while on the tower).
  Somewhat circumstantial evidence, but next year I hope to have ALL
of my Beverages at the lower height (along with some other changes).

73,  Bill     K0HA