TopBand: Elevated Radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevated Radials
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:15:57 -0500
>Higher frequencies were never a part of this discussion.  Let us please
>ALL contain our selves to 160M...not BCB...Not "other  frequencies".

Excellent point Carl.  The discussion and testing should be limited to only
the 160M band.  Modeling on MW broadcast, 80M or 10 M as someone else
suggested last week, may yield completely different results from 160M due to
earth effects.

Also, it seems to me that radiation of the entire vertical profile should be
considered as well.  For instance, If one takes FS measurements at 1km and
the results favor the 60+ ground mounted radial antenna, does that
necessarily mean that an elevated-radial radiator with a 5-degree launch
angle is inferior, even though its main lobe may in fact produce greater
field intensity at 5 degrees than the 60+ radial radiator at 0 degrees?   Is
a 0-degree launch angle all that we're concerned with?  I suppose for the
really long-haul DX it is.  What about east-coast USA to Europe?

-Paul, W9AC