TopBand: NL7Z

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: NL7Z
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:56:58 EST
Bob

Tks for your helpful comments.

You are correct; it was indeed1040z-1107z.

>From Kevin's post, we now know it was reciprocal.  He heard the multipathing
too - on signals originating from widely divergent parts of the USA.

If we dismiss the LP for the moment, what's ur take on:

1) The fact that he came up several S units from the South/SWest/SEast as
opposed to the normal NW heading?
2) Does the multiple layer event at sunrise you describe apply to ALL of the
geographical occurrences noted?  EG. NY, GA, Wash state etc? If this event was
also occurring in locations not yet at sunrise, (eg: Washington state, for
example, which MAY have still been in total darkness), what impact might that
have on your analysis of the causal factor?

(Kevin - at what times did you work these other guys?  Was it at their sunrise
times also?   Or were these qso's soon after our QSO?  In other words, when
did this event start and end for you?  Were all of us at our sunrise times?
Can you pse give us a list of your log?)
3) If it WAS multilayer illumination, do you have any idea why the signal
would PEAK from another distinct DIRECTION very much away from the DIRECT NW
path, eg: normal heading?

Since I had the ability with a directional array to DETERMINE where the signal
I was hearing was PEAKING FROM, I noticed immediately that NW was not the
PRINCIPAL arrival azimuth for Kevin.

I really wouldn't be too hasty to fault my antenna - while it is not a death
ray, it is a pretty good indicator where a signal is coming from - especially
when the difference in signal level was this dramatic.  15-20DB difference in
S meter level is a BIG difference Bob!

I wonder if Kevin noted similar anomalies at his end.   Not only was he LOUDER
S/SW/SE, but SOME of the echo seemed to have been eliminated.

Again, from the NW, I could barely understand his 13WPM CW.  From the S/SE,
enough of the "beating" stopped such that I could copy his CW clearly.

Today's WWV numbers were:

06z 125/3/1
12Z 125/3/2

Best I could get Bob.  Thanks for taking the time to help explain this.

73 Jeff

K1ZM@aol.com