TopBand: Source for Radial Wire and 4-Square Relays

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Source for Radial Wire and 4-Square Relays
From: dbowker@shire.sjv.net (Dave Bowker)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:44:41 -0500
Fair Radio Sales sells 5000' spools of twin lead hook-up wire (2 x #24) for
$29.95, item number  #2x24-5K.  This wire is similar to "zip cord" or
speaker wire and may be easily separated like "zip cord" into 10,000' feet
of single conductor #24.  I use this on my 4-square arrays by simply mowing
the grass short and laying out the radials, fertilizing and watering, and
letting the grass return to normal height.  It takes 1-day to lay out a
full complement of 120 radials under each element of the array in this
manner.

Fair Radio Sales also sells an excellent ceramic insulated DPDT relay with
10-amp contacts for $15, item number K 104/HRX-1, which I use in the
direction switching of my arrays.  They are unused (old stock) Allied
Control HRX-1 relays sold in the 50's and 60's as antenna relays for
switching twin lead and open wire feeders.

Dave, K1FK
Fort Kent, ME