TopBand: JT1X - Topband experiences

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: JT1X - Topband experiences
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:00:44 +0000
VE7BS Bob sent me this:
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:43:13 -0700
> Seems to me the popular misconception is that "noise is vertically
> polarized" rather than "is an electric field". So when you say "they both
> have the same characteristics" people may assume you mean all the
> characteristics on arrival at the antenna, so a given antenna will respond
> equally to both signal and noise.

I might not have made the point well. Actually ALL antennas respond
the same way to far-field noise IF the polarity of the noise and
signal and direction of arrival  is the same. There is a popular
misconception that loops are less responsive to noise because they
are "magnetic" or dc grounded and noise is an "electric field", as
well as the popular wive's tale Bob pointed out.

> But you will agree that if the noise has travelled parallel to the earth for
> a distance, the horizontally polarized signal (in loose terms "a horizontal
> electric field") will have been attenuated, and the noise then appears to be
> vertically polarized.

That's a good point, and probably where the rumor a dipole is quieter
for distant QRN came from . Only local groundwave propagated noise is
predominately vertically polarized, because horizontally polarized
signals are greatly attenuated as they follow the earth. Sky wave
noise is either polarity!

My 4 square is consistantly quieter than a dipole during the summer,
but not for groundwave noise coming from a few miles away!
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com