TopBand: Press Release - 5V7A

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Press Release - 5V7A
From: g3sxw@compuserve.com (Roger, G3SXW)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 11:04:15 -0400
LAA03263
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

PRESS RELEASE
Togo - 5V7A - Major Expedition in November

Eleven operators will activate 5V7A from Togo, West Africa with
seven one-kilowatt stations and 17 antennas in November.
This will be the third consecutive 5V7A entry to the CQ World-
Wide CW Contest by the Voodoo Contest Group. Some
15,000 CW contacts are expected on the six non-WARC bands
during the weekend of November 28th/29th.

A few days before and after the contest the operators will be
active (including WARC bands and possibly RTTY) with
personal call-signs from Togo and possibly  also from
Ghana as follows:

G3SXW, Roger - 5V7A, 9G5SX
G3VMW, Steve - 5V7VM, 9G5SW
G3ZEM, Bob - 5V7ZM, 9G5ZM
G4BWP, Fred - 5V7??, 9G5??
G4FAM, Cris - 5V7FA, 9G5CH
G4ZVJ, Andy - 5V7VJ, 9G5VJ
GM3YTS, Rob - 5V7RF, 9G5RF
K5VT, Vince - 5V7VT, 9G5VT
K7GE, Jim - 5V7JL, 9G5JL
KC7V, Mike - 5V7MF, 9G5MF
KY7M, Lee - 5V7??, 9G5??

QSLs go to home call-sign except 5V7A which is via GM4FDM.
E-mail requests for 5V7A bureau replies are encouraged via
5v7a@voodudes.com, or via bureau in the normal way, or
direct to:

Tom Wylie, GM4FDM
3 King's Crescent
Elderslie
Renfrewshire
PA5 9AD
Scotland

This year the Voodoo Contest Group offers a new and exciting
Internet Web-Page which all are invited to visit, at:
http://voodudes.com

In addition to all the detailed facts and figures about this major
expedition along with many photographs, maps, charts and
specimen QSL cards we are glad to announce several useful
innovations. Thanks to the efforts of Warren, K7WX and Steve,
G3VMW along with state-of-the-art technology many aspects of
the page come to life:

- a simple electronic form can be used for QSL requests via
the bureau, or to see if you are in the 5V7A log. Contacting us
has never been easier.

- many important areas of the site may be accessed in English or
Spanish, along with several sections also available in French,
German, English, Spanish and Finnish. (Our thanks to Julio,
EA5XX and Olavi, OH2BBR for so much help). Latest news of
expedition progress will be posted to the 'Update' section in all
five languages. Visit the site often as the date approaches.

- we would especially like to thank Carl, K9LA, for expert guidance
on our Propagation area. Just click over your QTH on the world-
map for a listing of openings to Togo from your region, by hour
and by band. There are also great-circle and sunrise/sunset
maps to help in planning contacts as well as access to a world-
map showing the position of the day and night terminators in
real-time. Commentary about predicting propagation to West
Africa is also available, plus a descriptive section about how
best to work Togo on each band and from each continent.

Comments and queries about 5V7A may be sent to g3sxw@
compuserve.com or to any team member.
73 de Roger/G3SXW, 30/8/98.