TopBand: Beverage transformer core question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage transformer core question
From: john.devoldere@innet.be (John Devoldere (ON4UN))
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 20:41:08 +0100
Hello Dave:

I have used the BBR7731 cores for about 15 years, and have made hundreds of
transformers using these cores and NEVER had one returned to me.

I recently measured the insertion loss of these transformes, using 4 turns
trifilar. The results are:

single core: 0.5 dB on 1.8, 3.5 and 7 Mhz
stacks of 2 cores: 0.3 dB on the same frequencies.

The SWR of these transformers, when terminated with a 470 ohm resistor is
less than 1.05 /1 on the same frequencies.

If you can get these at the right price, you will be happy with them.

this does not mean that other (73 or 43 mix) won't work, but you will need
just as many if not more turns to get the same result.

73

John Devoldere,
ON4UN