TopBand: CQ160 darkness

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CQ160 darkness
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 11:00:42 EDT

On Mon, 07 Sep 1998 10:23:34 +0300 Mika Kauranen <mika.kauranen@oulu.fi
(OH8LAE) writes:

>I only say the darkness does not make it alone !
>
>Other geographical/local factors are at least as important.
==========

Of the many messages posted on this subject, only Mika has briefly
touched on what I consider an important factor.  Consider this:

1)  Although EU has (generally) fewer hours of darkness in the contest,
most of their QSOs are with other countries on the same continent (5
points each).  Therefore the average EU station should be able to make
more QSO points per hour than the average NA station.  The multiplier
total should be higher also, with so many nearby populous countries to
work.

2) Rikki, 4X4NJ also feels at a disadvantage, with even fewer hours of
darkness than EU during the contest, however I would imagine that most of
Rikki's QSOs are with a
different continent (EU), therefore 10 points each, with a good number of
multipliers there.

3) EA8 and CT3 (AF), both with fewer hours of darkness in the contest,
probably have the best shot at taking top world honors -- 99%+ of their
QSOs are with easily reached EU and NA stations, all of them 10-pointers.

The number of hours of darkness is certainly not the only thing to
consider if an attempt is to be made to "level the playing field".

For one, I'm satisfied with the rules as they stand, even though the vast
majority of my QSOs are only 2-pointers.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]