TopBand: Conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Conditions
From: csus04@lmpsil02.comm.mot.com (Raymond Dave-CSUS04)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:15:25 -0600

It was very frustrating to sit here in Iowa Tuesday evening and watch all
the European spots coming in from the east coast.  Obviously, conditions on
the east coast were really good.  I could hear almost nothing here on the
European beverage (580'). . . nor any other direction for that matter.  F5IN
always puts in a big signal.  I couldn't even copy Mike.

We're far enough into the season now to see that conditions from Iowa this
year (so far) are not nearly as good as last year.  While I have had a
couple dozen or so European QSO's this year, it's nothing like it was this
time last year when it would not be unusual to work 6 or 8 Europeans every
night. Even 80 meters is not nearly as good (and not nearly as active) as it
was last year.  Perhaps the higher SFI index is hurting us. . . something
surely is.

Anyway, it's amazing to see what a difference 1000 miles makes.

73 and Happy Holidays to all. . . Dave
W0FLS