TopBand: duplicate DXPedition qsos

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: duplicate DXPedition qsos
From: wb6tza@compuall.net (wb6tza@compuall.net)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:36:00 -0800
I must STRONGLY echo and support Alex TL5A comments on dupes/insurance
contacts.  several mornings i had several stations call for "insurance"
qsos covering up the few minutes of good propigation right at my sunrise.
the last morning of operations, I worked 9 "NINE!!"  dupes in a row,
despite my pleading with them NOT to dupe me, they called again.  I
consider this very incosiderate, and not consistent with good operating
practice on the Gentlemans band.  I arranged at considerabe effort to
deliver a list of stations worked EACH DAY to be posted on our web site, in
order to reduce this trouble.  The combined dupe rate for both the 96 and
98 trips exceeds 20 percent!!  I believe some of these discourteous folks
would very quickly change their practice if they once had to tolerate a
night of buzzing and crashing with signals below the noise, only to have a
dupe drift up out of the noise after trying hard for 20 minutes to identify
a signal.

73
robin critchell, wa6cdr, topband captain, XZ1N