TopBand: BC Hash

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: BC Hash
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:56:50 -0500
I've gotten some input but I'm still asking for help from anyone who hears
BC hash around 1830, in particular if they hear it really strong.

It comes and goes, sometimes off for long periods. It sounds like splatter
or bursts of noise, it does NOT sound like a AM signal with an identifiable
carrier. It only occurs during modulation peaks of the station.

I have two audio matches, one is 1310 kHz in Chattanooga and other is 1140.
Since both play the same syndicated program, and I'm sure more do, it'll
probably take someone close to the culprit to positively ID them.

I can make out bursts of audio with my receiver on AM, it's fairly strong
(compared to DX). I'm near Macon GA, another station near Nashville area
hears it also, and says it is fairly loud up there. I hear it best to the
north of me. It is skywave propagation.
73 Tom