TopBand: Best Receiver?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Best Receiver?
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 12:27:04 EST
I've sure heard a lot about the Omni Vi+ receiver.  The latest posted
here is that its DSP is far better than a JPS outboard unit.

My JPS NIR-12 outboard DSP is far better (for SSB) than the built-in DSPs
on the FT-1000MP, IC-756, TS-870S and IC-775DSP that I've compared with
each other here.  On CW, it helps slightly in its narrowest setting (50
Hz) in conjunction with the 60 Hz DSP filter in the FT-1000MP.

I'd sure like to subject an Omni VI+ to the same weak signal and DSP
quick-switch comparisons I've done with the above-mentioned rigs.  If
anyone in the northern Los Angeles County/South Kern County area of
California has an Omni VI+, please let me know so that we can arrange it.

Again, here is how the comparisons were (best to worst):

For weak CW signals (in the noise) on 160m and 10m:
1) FT-1000MP (with INRAD mod)
2) TS-870S and TS-830S (tie)
3) FT-1000MP (without INRAD mod)
4) IC-775DSP
5) IC-756

DSP effectiveness:
1) JPS NIR-12 (outboard DSP)
2) TS-870S
3) FT-1000MP
4) IC-756
5) IC-775DSP

I'd be happy to add the Omni VI+ to this list if there's a nearby
volunteer-owner.

73, de Earl, K6SE

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]