TopBand: feed line lengths

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: feed line lengths
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:08:54 -0500
I have the opportunity to really remote my 160/80 rx antennas far away from
my xmit antenna.

I wonder what the maximum length of feed line is? I have hard line and RG-6
and can use either. My estimation is that the run would be over 600' from
the shack.

W8JI had a 4 element array that was quite a bit from his shack (was it
almost a mile Tom?) I think I remember Tom telling me he used hard-line.

Elwell wrote an article in HR years ago and he used a 4 wire cage. He was
also feeding xmit antennas so his needs were a little different than mine.

I'd appreciate input from anyone doing long runs. I'd also like to know if
there are any tricks or inherent problems with long coax runs.

Craig

73 Craig Clark W1JCC

Radio Bookstore & Radioware
PO Box 209 - 47 Fitzgerald Rd