Topband: Condx this morning and K1FZ beverage report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Condx this morning and K1FZ beverage report
From: earlham@radiks.net (Iowaguy)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 06:09:43 -0500
Woke up early this morning and got on about 0945z.  Called CQ on 1828.  Rex,
ZL2REX came right back for a nice qso.  Tuned up the band a little later and
found Steve, VK6VZ on 1831.8.  I worked him about 1024z.  Steve's signal was
quite strong, reaching an honest 589 here.  I think today's conditions to
VK/ZL are the best so far this season.  Also, last evening heard W3AVN
working Wolf, DF2PY.  Wolf was weak but copyable here.  This is the first
European signal I've heard so far this season here in Iowa.

I have my first 2-wire beverage (NE/SW) up using the K1FZ matching and
reflection transformers.  It works very, very well.  I'm getting good front
to back (20-25 db on some signals).  The amazing thing is the higher amount
of signal levels I get.  I'm getting about 10 db more overall signal than I
did with my old homebrew matching and reflection transformers.  Looks like
Bruce has a real winner here.  The second beverage (SE/NW) goes up today,
hopefully.

73 to all. . . Dave
W0FLS