Topband: EA Topband conditions last two days

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EA Topband conditions last two days
From: jmata@nil.fut.es (EA3VY-JOSE MATA GARRIGA)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:58:46 +0100
Yesterday and today the last two hours before my sunrise ( around 0600Z) the
band had a extremely high QSB on the signals. Normally one or two acute
peaks and then suddenly signals fade out making difficult to complete my
normally short QSOs. As one of the examples I was today exceptionally in SSB
in 1840 exchanging info with AA0RS for a later armchair contact in 40m when
K6GNX ?? broke over the 58-59 signals from David. I asked David to stby and
not more than 10 seconds later the caller was just on the noise and even if
we exchanged reports I could not confirm his call sign without doubt.
Another observation is that the new delta antenna (optimized for vertical
polarization) that the last two months worked outstandingly better than the
sloper (my longtime reference antenna) was never better these last two days
(confirming a trend experienced last 15 days).
This ability to surprises is one, among others, reasons to be attached to
our beloved band.
The good news is that both N7JW and K7CA were contacted again yesterday.
with good signals. If we mix both days I have the hope that these days near
the equinox could be good for West Coast contacts. I will be looking from
0400Z on 1832 +- as usual with some 1840 calls in SSB near my sunrise at
0554Z
I will appreciate spots on the cluster.
73s
Jose EA3VY