Topband: Topband Noise Tracking Procedures

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband Noise Tracking Procedures
From: kn4lf@webtv.net (Thomas Giella)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:25:16 -0500 (EST)
  I've received alot of emails concerning my previous post on 160 meter
noise tracking and dealing with the offender, so I figured I'd share the
info with all.
  I always start out with a return receipt letter to the offender. In it
I enclose a copy of my FCC radio license, my photo ID drivers license,
my law enforcement credentials (for credibiity only), a business card
from the local power company RFI Investigator, my telephone number, an
explanation of the communications I provide in the event of an emergency
(hurricane, etc), what device I think the offender is, how his
electrical device is interfering with my radio operations, how I located
him/her and the offending device, the date and time I will be stopping
by and last but not least, the problems his offending device can cause
"him" if not corrected, like higher electric bills, television
interference, a fire, etc.
  Upon arriving at the location, If the person is uncooperative I will
mention visits by the local Fire Marshall, Building Inspector, Power
Company and the FCC. 9 times out of 10 this tactic is not necessary but
good communication skills and confidence are a big asset.
   As far as actually tracking the noise source I systematically fan
out in every major direction from my QTH, using a Sangean ATS-818
portable. I'll start with say north of my QTH at intervals of 1/4, then
1/2, then 3/4, then 1 mile, all the while checking the QRN level on my
receiver S meter. I then go NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW. It's crude and time
consuming but has worked for me for years. It also helps to be able to
identify what certain noise sources sound like. I learned from a good
book called the Interference Handbook by WA6FQG and W6SAI. My book was
printed in 1981 but there is a new version out now.

73,
Thomas Giella, KN4LF