Topband: critters eating my coax!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: critters eating my coax!
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:25:54 -0400
> I posed that same question on the vhf reflector last December after
> finding some 9913 chewed up in five different places. Received multiple
> replies, like:

The most effective way to deal with this problem is to use flooded
cable, like CATV F-11xxxxx series cables. Cables designed for
direct burial generally contain flooding compounds.

The jacket is less easily penetrated, and the flooding compound
tastes terrible. The flooding compound also re-seals the cable after
any puncture, preventing water ingress.

Flooded F11 type (RG-11 size) CATV cables are actually a fraction
f the price of RG213, and even F-6 (RG-6 size) cables are good for
long runs on 160 meters. 50 ohm cables are also available with
flooding compounds.

Nothing else has ever worked for me, the critters even eat
aluminum jacketed cables here and at CATV systems I've been
involved with.

3, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com