Topband: Making low wires more visible de K0FF

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Making low wires more visible de K0FF
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 17:12:45 -0400
> Some one was asking about marking or otherwise making low wires more
> visible to avoid collisions etc. A few of the methods used here may be of
> interest. Our biggest problem is the downlead portion of the Beverage
> wires. These are about 60 feet at both ends where the wire slopes down to
> the termination or feed point. Invariably one end winds up in an area that
> is mowed or otherwise frequented by the tractor or mower.

Another cure is to not slope the ends, and bring them down along a
thick obstacle.

Six or ten feet of vertical drop is six or ten feet of drop, whether in
one small area or a 60 foot length. The response to vertically
polarized noise or signals is essentially the same, it just moves out
from the feedpoint a bit.

If you doubt that, consider the Pennant antenna. It works because
the pointed end acts like a second vertical, that picks up the same
signal level as the totally vertical wire at the other end. If it didn't,
the antenna would have only high angle horizontal component.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com