Topband: Beverage Over Good Ground

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Over Good Ground
From: kn4lf@webtv.net (Thomas Giella)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 07:32:07 -0400 (EDT)
ZL3IX:

>I also have a question about Beverages. I have heard in the past that
>they work best over lousy soil, but are not so great over good soil.

  A beverage over good ground will basically be deaf, as the poor ground
conductivity aids in the angle that the received signal cuts the receive
antenna wire.

  At my QTH I have swamp bordering the east, south and west sides of my
property with a water table approx. 1 foot underground in winter and at
the surface or higher in summer. My beverage experiments were a total
failure but I found EWE antenna's to be a little better with much
improvement using pennant antennas.

73 And Take Care,

Thomas Giella, KN4LF