Topband: Low Dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Low Dipole
From: kn4lf@webtv.net (Thomas Giella)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:23:49 -0500 (EST)
WA2AEH Bill Asked:
My question is this, my dipole is a high angle radiator (i agree with
this), but is it also a low angle receiver.

Thomas KN4LF Says:
  A low dipole will not respond to a low angle DX signal from a vertical
antenna very well, "in general". However many times a DX signal with
vertical polarization will become horizontal and/or even circular as it
refracts off of the E and or F layer(s) allowing for reception along the
broadside plane a low dipole.
  Another factor not known by most, a low dipole transmits and receives
a low angle VERTICAL signal off it's ends. I worked Europe regularly
with 100 watts, with the ends of a low dipole pointing at Europe and the
south Pacific.
  Unfortunately though the low dipole also hears local vertically
polarized ground wave noise very well also.

73 And Take Care,

Thomas Giella, KN4LF