Topband: Using noise canceller with low-noise RX antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Using noise canceller with low-noise RX antenna
From: w7my@yahoo.com (Greg Chartrand)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 06:10:24 -0800 (PST)
Pete,

I have been using a 1026 since the fall. I have
modified my station so I can use several different
antennas as the sense or primary antenna. You are
right that the unit will only work when both antennas
can hear the noise source. I have a similar problem as
you where my primary noise source is lined up with
europe. The Wx has been bad here so I have not tried
positioning a sense antenna such that the null is not
on europe. Unfortunately I have not located the source
of my noise so I know where to put the sense antenna.
Most the the time I use a low dipole (30') as the
sense antenna and the vertical as the primary. Because
my noise source is electronic in nature (like a tv
horiz sc noise) the amplitude shifts around requiring
me to keep twisting knobs on the 1026 to keep the
null. I know the box has a lot of limitations, bad
preamp, limited phase shift and so on, but I would
give up on 160 without it this year.

If you can locate your noise source, you can try a few
simple test antennas (portable radio, small loop) to
see if you can position a sense antenna to hear the
noise. I'm not sure if using a flag would be better
than anything else if your only goal is to null the
noise. The flag might be better positioned away from
the noise source, preferrably ahead of it (relative to
Eu) so you could steer the flag's null towards the
noise source.

Greg
W7MY