Topband: Transformer Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Transformer Question
From: K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 22:01:44 -0500
Ford

You started out OK...

You can cancel the reactance at either side of the transformer.  The 260
+j330 will be transformed to about 65 +j82.5, but not exactly, due to
stray inductance, and the capacitance between windings .

But the statement that 1000 pF is less lossy than 264 pF is not the case.
First, any typical capacitor you would use in this application will have
very
high Q and, therefore, very low loss.  Next, even if the 264 pF cap has
four times the resistive loss of the 1000 pF cap, it is operating in a 4x
higher impedance circuit. Its fraction of the total impedance is the same,
so
loss is the same despite the higher resistance.

I am curious about the reason for your question -- is this for TX or RX?
(The numbers you give seem to fit a receiving antenna.)

73, Gary
K9AY