Topband: 160m band plan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m band plan
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:53:59 +0000
Did most of the world forget we have a new 160 meter band plan this year? I
heard HUNDREDS of European stations below 1843 kHz last night, and
Caribbean stations, who were not listening above 1843 kHz for USA stations.
If ALL of the USA participants had been operating below 1843 I would only
have been able to hear a small portion of these. Hopefully some of the Eu
stations will get the word to listen up. While scores of USA stations did
start calling them transceive, or CQ'ing below 1843, the majority seemed to
be adhering to the band plan. Thank you!

It was nice to see activity way up the band. I had good runs on 1955 khz
and 1979 kHz, with some European and African stations calling in both
simplex and when I was QSX low in the band. And there was still plenty of
space up at the top of Top Band for anyone not wanting to contest.

TA3J was one of the loudest stations heard, but didn't listen up so
couldn't work him.

Bright spot was working 5R8FU on CW at his sunrise for a new one in spite
of all the SSB crud on 1834 kHz. I could only copy him on my 880-ft.
single-wire Beverage which is aimed at 110 degrees. This wire, which is 15
feet high to clear a driveway, is the noisiest of my Beverages since it
goes under the power line feed and passes within 15 feet of one of my
100-ft towers. Yet southern African signals are still almost always best
copy on this wire, compared with quieter Beverages at 45, 90 or 162 degrees.

73/Jon AA1K
Felton, Delaware