Topband: Whatcha callit?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Whatcha callit?
From: jljarvis@abs.adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:53:36 -0500
I've worked with a vertical antenna system, for which I
have no name...but which is quite effective.  Wonder if I
could get opinions/comments?

K3ANS has a series of 8 1/4 wave 'radials' about 100' up
from the base of his 120 foot tower.  There's a 40m beam on
top.  He runs coax up the tower, connects the radials to
the shield, and the center conductor to the tower at 100'.
resonates around 1830.  Seems to be quite effective, without
an extensive ground radial system.

Anyone else seen one of these?  What's it called?  What's
really happening here?

N2EA