Topband: Impedance Bridges

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Impedance Bridges
From: k9nr@juno.com (Donald L Kerouac)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:18:16 -0600
GR Bridges were standard equipment for anyone working on AM broadcast
antennas.  They are often still used.  Probably the most commonly used
instrument today is the Delta OIB-1 or OIB-3 Operating Impedance Bridges.

Portable, accurate and easy to use, they also require a source of
excitation.  They have a built in detector, though it is common to use a
more sensitive external detector.
They can be driven by a signal generator or directly by up to a 5KW
transmitter (up 50KW with external adaptor).
Their main claim to fame is the ability to measure complex impedances in
a directional antenna system where the "cold" Z is very different from
the "hot" Z due to mutual coupling in the array.
I had a problem matching my 160 tower due to mutual coupling to a second
tower only 36 ft. away.  My MFJ analyzer said everything was fine, as
would a GR Bridge.  The Delta OIB gave very different measurements.
After I detuned the second tower, the MFJ and the OIB agreed.
Since many hams use more than one tower, they may encounter similiar
problems.
73...Don, K9NR

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.