Topband: Re; Vactrols and Flag

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re; Vactrols and Flag
From: amdx@att.net (Mike Knowlton)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 08:26:05 -0500
  >The 16 ft. high vertical section six feet=20
  >off the ground calls for a 20 ft. mast.

   I'm not sure if this comment refers to the drawing on=20
my page, the bottom wire of my Flag is 12ft off the ground.
The Flag measures 14ft x 29ft. I used the top rail for chain link=20
fence as mast material and for the horizontal section. The arms
are made of bamboo that I painted with boat bottom epoxy.
  As you can see from the pictures, I double insulated the mast=20
from horizontal section (PVC in two places). I did this even though
I was told by several people that the models showed it didn't
make any difference. It turned out to be my failure point, the PVC
slipped on the mast and it rotated until the wire broke. Not enough
friction between the PVC and the steel.=20
  When I get up to fix the wire I'll probably thru bolt the mast and
horizontal section to prevent rotation.
   No flames about how I set the range on my Vactrols must=20
be OK or no one cared to comment. I thought it was a simple=20
and neat solution.
  Any ideas on a mechanical unit to allow my Flag to rotate
vertically for repairs and Mods. The question is detailed on my=20
website.     http://home.att.net/~amdx/
                           Mike Knowlton

                                 =20
     =20