Topband: Diversity Reception on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Diversity Reception on 160
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:48:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Topband: Diversity Reception on 160

Ford-N0FP wrote:

> > I was looking at the marketing info on the new TenTec Orion
> > transceiver, which claims to accomodate full diversity reception using
> > separate receive antenna ports and the two receivers.  It all sounds
> > too cool to believe...

Tom-W8JI responded

> Be sure they use common oscillators in the two receivers, so they
> remain **exactly** phase locked or use some other means of phase
> locking the receivers to the same exact frequency.

Today, I got a response from Scott Robins at TenTec to a question regarding
"phase locking" the ORION's receivers.  Here is his response:

> You don't have to do anything for diversity reception.  Merely push a
button on
> the front panel to assign both receivers to a single VFO and start tuning
around
> the band with one or the other of the main tuning knobs (you can assign
both
> receivers to either of the two VFO's).   Mix the audio any way you
> want - separate rxers in each ear, both in one ear, both in both ears.
Put
> each receiver on a separate antenna.   With Orion, you can even run each
> receiver to separate Beverages, then transmit on a 3rd antenna.  We've
tried
> to make it as flexible as possible....
>
> Scott Robbins, W4PA

Again, it sounds kinda nifty to say the least...

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com

PS.  Trust me, I don't work for TenTec and have no financial interest except
that I am looking at purchasing an ORION.