Topband: Ameco PCL-P preamp

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Ameco PCL-P preamp
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 02:55:32 +0000
Speaking of Amecon preamps, I have an Ameco PCL-P nuvistor cascode preamp.
It seems to work ok on 160-10m.  I find it useful with my K6STI loop and for
using my 10m ground plane as a general coverage receiving antenna.
Otherwise, about the only thing it does is make the s-meter read higher,
with no effect whatever on s/n  ratio.  It amplifies the background noise
just as much as the signal. The tuned circuit gives it some front-end
selectivity.  I have to be careful with it using certain antennas, because
it can become regenerative at specific settings of the tuned circuit and
this injects a tremendous amount of noise over the signal.  Wonder if anyone
has had any experience with this preamp?

Don K4KYV