Topband: W1WCR Beverage book

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: W1WCR Beverage book
From: dj2ya@t-online.de (Ulrich Weiss)
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 10:02:26 +0200
hi Tom,

once more, I found your reply most helpful for my own questions...
relpying to Don, K4KYV, you wrote:

> You'd have a tough time electrostatically shielding a transformer in
> any form that is even slightly useful in this application. Even that
> is a waste of time at best, and can actually harm the system at
> worst.
>
> Just use separate windings, and keep the grounds isolated.

what does this last sentence exactly mean??? as I understand it, the ground
side of the 450 ohms secondary of the transformer should be connected to
some suitable ground (ground rod(s) or symmetrical radials)... does your
answer imply that the ground side of the 50 ohm primary should be left
"floating" when connected to the coax shield of the feedline???
is it advisable to use a number of suitable ferrite beads on the feedline???
where should they be placed - at the transformer end or the tx end or at
both to avoid common mode influence???? how much "inductance" should be
produced by these beads to achieve a reasonable amount of common mode
suppression???

as there may be more people interested, I place this reply on the reflector
as well

greetings from Germany

Uli, DJ2YA/N2YA

* Ulrich Weiss  Am Birkenstrauch 15   D-57334 Bad Laasphe       *
* DJ2YA          Tel. +4927526462       e-mail dj2ya@t-online.de   *
*
*