Topband: Balloon vertical antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Balloon vertical antenna
From: herbs@vitelcom.net (Herb Schoenbohm)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 06:30:06 -0300
Mac,  Fair Radio Sales in Ohio still have a 300 foot roll of #2 wire designed
for their ballon antennas.  It is only 3 lbs in total weight and if your ballon
will lift that you will be close to a 5/8 wave vertical botom fed which is
optimal for low angle take off. If weather conditions and ballon size do not
permit you to lift 5/8 wave of this wire you may want to consider 3/8 wave
vertical and a series capacitor to tune the wire to resonance.  3/8 wave will
drive the impedence up to 50 to 60 ohms providing a good non-reactive match for
50 ohm coax.  A ground counterpoise or a few radials will make things even
better.

If you experience some winds that ten to make your ballon semi vertical you may
consider some lightweight monofiliment fishing line as stabilizers.

Herb Schoenbohm (PY1ZAI formerly KV4FZ)