Topband: R-390 rcvrs.....

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: R-390 rcvrs.....
From: WA4HHG@R390A.com (Chuck Rippel)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:28:09 -0400
I think I can speak to R390A's having restored several hundred but only 1 of
the older R390's.  The R390A would great for CW but because they use
symmetrical mechanical filters v/s asymmetrical, it does not do well on SSB.
Its an incredibly sensitive receiver with its best performance below 8mhz.

The tracking IF and mechanical filters make it very selective.  I can run my
Collins 20V-2 at a full KW on 1.885 while listening to the ball game on 1.230
and never know the 'V2 was on.  Did that a month ago during daytime to set
up the modulator balance.

If you happen to own 2 R390A's, they can be configured to work together for
diversity reception.

Everyone wants Collins builds.  However, the 1967 EAC and 1968 Dittmore-
Friemuth builds seem to be the best, for my money anyway.  Besides being
the newest and latest builds, (unless you want to count the 5 built by Fowler
Industries in 1983 @ $35K ea) they have all the various factory upgrades,
teflon wiring, etc....

> There are actually TWO models of R-390s...one made by Collins, and the other,
> I'm not sure.
-----------------------------
Chuck Rippel, WA4HHG
R390A List Co-Administrator
Reply to: R390A@R390A.com

To learn more about R390A's visit:
http://www.R390A.com

1968 Contract Dittmore-Friemuth R390A #38
1967 Contract EAC R390A #2808 with outboard Sherwood SE-3 Sync. Detector
1967 Contract EAC R390A #5295
1967 Contract EAC R390A #5591
1967 Contract EAC R390A #1023

All in regular use as premier Shortwave Broadcast DX Receivers
       -and-
Vintage AM Amateur use