Topband: Lightning and Insurance

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lightning and Insurance
From: ve3zi@rac.ca (Roger Parsons)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:15:59 +0100 (BST)
Had an unhappy happening last week - a significant
strike on/near one of my
beverages and on the telephone line took out all the
remote switching boxes
and a quantity of equipment in the shack and the home
office. (I think I had
done just about all I could to protect the equipment -
I have relays on each
rf and control line which ground everything when there
is no line power. The
strike welded the contacts, melted the control cable,
blew up all the surge
suppressors, and arrived at the shack in fine form. It
then wiped everything
connected. The strike on the telephone line had a
similar effect on my fax
machine and other bits.)

I believe I am properly insured and do not forsee any
problem with replacement
of the commercial equipment (apart from the $1000
excess). My question
regards the home brew stuff. There is a lot of it,
none of it is commercially
available, it took quite a lot of money and a great
deal of time to
construct. Does anybody have any experience with the
attitude of insurance
companies to this type of situation? Would much
appreciate any opinions ASAP
before I meet with the insurance loss adjustor.

 Whatever the outcome, it will be a little while
before I am 100% operational
on the band again.

73 Roger
VE3ZI