Topband: 5H3RK

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 5H3RK
From: n9en@voyager.net (N9EN@VOYAGER.NET)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:13:34 -0400
Hello all...

No, I hv not worked 5H3RK yet on 160 and sure could
use that one for a "new one" on Top Band. I pretty much
had the "wind taken out of my sails" after having tried to
work the ET3 but was never able to hear him above ESP
copy, except for only brief moments.

I had strung up a 300' long temporary Beverage across my
2-1/2 acre lot, in hopes of being able to work the ET3 but
had no luck w/ him at all. My only other antenna that I use
on 160 is a delta loop, the top corner of it being supported
by a 136' high tower.

I am still being bothered by power line interference at my
QTH. I have been experiencing it for well over a year now
and have no idea if or when it will be taken care of. I did
receive a copy of a letter (by Certified Mail) that was sent
to our electric utility, ComEd, from the FCC.

The last time that ComEd's Power Quality Engineer was
out by my QTH, he told me that the noise was due to
some customer's "connected load" and that all of their
lines were quiet and that he could find no source of noise.
So after hearing that from him, I pretty much gave up on
ComEd doing anything about the noise.

A few weeks after talking to the engineer, a couple of
ComEd guys were out in my area "making repairs" and
had a list of things on which they were going to work. I
asked them if the repairs were in regards to my line
noise problem and they told me that yes, it was. But
since they've completed their repairs, the noise is still the
same. Nothing has changed.

I'm currently at 173 wkd / 169 cfmd on Top Band and
will be looking for new ones on that band this upcoming
winter. Good luck to all...

73 de Brad, N9EN @ Radio Free Roscoe (IL)...