Topband: 160m conditions - before and after solar peak

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m conditions - before and after solar peak
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:47:09 -0400
> As we approach the equinox, the conditions on the topband still seem
> pretty disappointing - high absorption and weak signals.  Considering
> we are now two to three years after the solar peak, this seems very
> interesting

I don't think we are that long after the peak. More like a few
months, if that. The flux and sunspots were really high just a week
ago. But that isn't the problem, because some of the best openings
come when the solar numbers are "off-the-charts".

The biggest problem is no one gets on the air.

Many mornings signals were S9 plus, and only one or two VK's were
active.

As for this year, even the JA's were workable in July...so I don't
think conditions were that bad. It takes people at both ends to be
consistently active, that's all.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com